Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Headphone Makeover

Wow, two posts in two days?!  You can tell I'm taking advantage of this Thanksgiving vacation.

A few weeks ago I used Victoria's Secret coupon that offered a free pair of DJ Headphones (A $40 value, guys!). 



Seriously they are so funny. The fact that they call them DJ Headphones just kills me.  Sadly, however, these are currently my best pair of headphones, so I guess the joke is on me.  And yes, when you wear them, especially around your neck, you look like a super model.

Needless to say, I have been a bit embarrassed to wear headphones that say "PINK" on the sides. Yes, I normally like to be a bit flashy, but this just doesn't seem right for the office... or anywhere outside a dorm room.

So supplies were gathered:

DJ Headphones
Wood-look contact paper
Matte acrylic medium
Scissors
Pencil
Paintbrush
Can or bottle with a similar circumference to earpiece housing
Decorative resin dots

The whole process is pretty simple, as you can probably guess. I cut out two circles of contact paper using my fish's food container as a guide:


Then, because I felt the contact paper was too obnoxiously shiny, I added a coat of matte gel medium:


When the disks were dry, I stuck them on the headphones and smoothed the bubbles out. Finally I added some decorative resin dots to the slider housings, and voila:


Now I have a unique pair of headphones that are just my style to hold me over until I get some of the ones I have been lusting over. 

Headphones are a very loaded everyday object, and my interest in them will probably never end. Besides doing this simple makeover, I have been researching and working on some concept designs of my very own. I cannot wait to share the projects that come out of my efforts with you guys!



2 comments:

  1. love reading your blog. wish im as skillful as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of the support Inda! I am sure you can do anything you put your mind to. :-)

      Delete